Yeah. Another meme. Sorry about that. This time it’s from here. It’s a long list of stuff that you copy and then highlight the ones you’ve done… adding comments should you feel so inclined.
I’m not entirely sure why it caught my eye, but I’ve no intention of inflicting it on anyone else… 150 items? It’s kind of over the top. But it’s been ticking over in my ‘drafts’ for a couple of weeks, getting added to whenever I run out of steam on another piece.
So I may as well dump it on the website now before unleashing my next pseudo-philosophical musings on you my dear, long-suffering, reader. Without further ado…
- Bought everyone in the bar a drink
More than once. Though usually – thank christ – in countries where you don’t need to take out a mortgage to get involved in pissed-up extravagance of that sort.
- Swam with wild dolphins
- Climbed a mountain
- Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
- Been inside the Great Pyramid
I became incredibly claustrophobic and didn’t stay long.
- Held a tarantula
- Taken a candlelit bath with someone
- Said ‘I love you’ and meant it
- Hugged a tree
More than that, I even wrote a haiku about it… Middle-aged couple / discover me tree-hugging / all a bit awkward
- Bungee jumped
- Visited Paris
- Watched a lightning storm at sea
- Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise
- Seen the Northern Lights
- Gone to a huge sports game
- Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
- Grown and eaten your own vegetables
- Touched an iceberg
- Slept under the stars
- Changed a baby’s diaper
It was an emergency and I was the only person available. I don’t think I did the best job in the world, but I did at least use the word “nappy” and not “diaper”. Fricking Americans!
- Taken a trip on a hot air balloon
- Watched a meteor shower
- Got drunk on champagne
I no longer drink… booze just doesn’t do it for me anymore. But I’ve got the kind of curious nature that’s meant I’ve been drunk at least once (and ususally only once) on just about every drink you care to mention.
- Given more than you can afford to charity
ha… ahh ha ha ha! One day I’ll tell that story.
- Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
- Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
- Had a food fight
- Bet on a winning horse
- Asked out a stranger
Never got a response in the affirmative, mind.
- Had a snowball fight
- Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
- Held a lamb
- Seen a total eclipse
Well, it was damn near total… ninety-something percent… London about six years ago.
- Ridden a roller coaster
But man do I hate the things. I prefer to get my ‘intense experience kicks’ in other ways.
- Hit a home run
- Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
Pretty much every time I’m moved to dance actually.
- Adopted an accent for an entire day
I was Scottish for a day while my Scottish friend was Irish. Leastways that was the theory… I think most of the time we were both Welsh-Pakistani.
- Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
Hell yeah! Lots and lots of moments. Without wishing to be too gloomy, it has been a fairly long while though.
- Had two hard drives for your computer
Right now I’ve got three. But what’s that got to do with anything?
- Visited all 50 states
- Taken care of someone who was shit faced
Yup. And I think… if I worked it out… I must be at least breaking even in the “had to be taken care of” Vs. “taken care of someone else” stakes (which is – as everyone knows – the only test that matters when St. Peter decides whether to let you into heaven or not).
- Had amazing friends
All my friends are amazing! (you’ve no idea how far an attitude like that goes when you’re asking to borrow money).
- Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
Yup. And I’ve danced with a foreigner in a strange country as well.
- Watched wild whales
- Stolen a sign
A sign? ‘A’ sign, you ask? Myself and A.R. stripped an entire suburb of road signs one drunken teenage night and placed them all in a local (drained) pond. To this day I’ve no recollection of the moment we decided on that mission, but I’d love to recall the conversation that led up to it.
- Backpacked in Europe
Technically every time I go to the shop.
- Taken a road-trip
Starting to get a bit mundane now…
- Gone rock climbing
… I mean, ever climbed some rocks? What’s that all about…? Seriously, what’s next? ‘Ever eaten some food?’
- Midnight walk on the beach
Oh come on!
- Gone sky diving
Ah, now we’re in better territory. Of course I’ve never gone sky-diving. I’m not a freaking nutter! The decision to jump out of a plane is – inherently – one you take as a matter of absolute last resort.
- Visited Ireland
Clearly not expecting too many Irish respondents to this wee quiz.
- Been heartbroken for longer than when you were in love
What? You mean it can pan out any other way? Really?
- In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them
- Visited Japan
- Milked a cow
- Alphabetized your cds
Oh man, you wouldn’t believe the time I’ve spent re-ordering my music collection. The male brain has an inbuilt tendency towards autism… and that’s where I let that little side of me run riot.
- Pretended to be a superhero
Yes. But I was, what? 6 years old at the time?
- Sung karaoke
No. And I never will. People don’t understand my objection to this… I don’t have a freakishly objectionable singing voice or anything. It’s just, when you’ve heard ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ butchered by an angry red-faced drunken middle-aged wino in a Cricklewood pub, the whole notion of karaoke loses its innocence and becomes something dark and unpleasant, filling your memory with little links and associations that you never asked for and can never ever escape.
- Lounged around in bed all day
If whoever compiled this quiz had been really hardcore they’d have specified a week! That’d separate the men from the boys.
- Posed nude in front of strangers
I posed nude (in crucifiction pose no less) for an artist when I was at college. But she wasn’t a stranger. I guess it all depends on your definition of “posed”. I was filmed by a van-load of policemen running nude across a bridge. It’d be stretching it to describe that as “posing” though.
- Gone scuba diving
- Kissed in the rain
- Played in the mud
- Played in the rain
- Gone to a drive-in theater
When I was living near Chicago I hung out a few times at an old abandoned drive-in. It had an incredibly apocalyptic atmosphere and I was vibing on that at the time. Never saw a movie at a drive-in though.
- Visited the Great Wall of China
- Started a business
More than once.
- Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
You’re shitting me right? That really happens?
- Toured ancient sites
Oh yeah, I’ve contributed to ‘tourist erosion’ at ancient sites all over the world. The Great Pyramids beat the rest hands-down. Sorry, but that’s just the way it is. I dig lots of others too, don’t get me wrong. But the pyramids are a bit fricking special.
- Taken a martial arts class
- Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
Probably. But I wasn’t a D&D geek for very long before my music-geekness kicked in and I stopped having time for anything that didn’t involve loud guitars and beer.
- Gotten married
- Been in a movie
I was an extra in some WW2 mini-series starring Kenneth Branagh. Can’t even recall the name of the thing. I was a British soldier dying in the background. I’ve also been in a couple of low-budget student films. I was credited as “The Hippy” in the first and “Stoned man” in the second. Arguably the roles didn’t stretch my acting abilities all that much.
- Crashed a party
I’ve crashed a fair few parties. Though none recently.
- Gotten divorced
- Gone without food for 5 days
- Made cookies from scratch
I’ve made them from other things too.
- Won first prize in a costume contest
- Ridden a gondola in Venice
- Gotten a tattoo
- Rafted the Snake River
- Been on television news programs as an “expert”
- Got flowers for no reason
- Performed on stage
- Been to Las Vegas
- Recorded music
- Eaten shark
I was a fully fledged carnivore up until my 16th birthday. Ate a lot of stuff that makes me think “hmmmmmm, not sure about that” these days.
- Had a one-night stand
- Gone to Thailand
- Bought a house
- Been in a combat zone
Not exactly. But we did get occasional bomb-threats in some of the countries I grew up in. My dad worked for a high-profile US corporation in some places where anti-American feeling could get violent. Mind you, this was back in the 80s… I suspect the kids attending (for instance) Cairo American College today are experiencing a whole other level of paranoid weirdness.
- Buried one/both of your parents
- Been on a cruise ship
For all the more like ‘jazz heaven’ from Stardust Memories.
- Spoken more than one language fluently
- Performed in Rocky Horror
- Raised children
- Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
And my second-favourite, and my third-favourite, and bands that probably struggle to make the top 20 these days.
- Created and named your own constellation of stars
- Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
- Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
- Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
- Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking
I was a motorist for about a year and a half in my late teens. Where possible I’ve done my best to avoid cars since then. However, during that brief time, it’s fair to say that I was rarely in the car without either Bowie or Talking Heads playing right at the edge of distortion volume. And it would be rare indeed if I wasn’t singing along. These days I must content myself with singing along at home… I still don’t give a toss if anyone’s looking.
- Had plastic surgery
- Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived.
- Wrote articles for a large publication
- Lost over 100 pounds
Remember the dot-com boom? And the biotech boom? A chimp with smack habit could’ve made money in the stock market in the late 90s. I did anyway. Round about mid-2000 however I heard about a small UK tech start-up that was having its IPO. They were going to be the next big thing. They worked in the field of nano-grinding and I believed they were absurdly underpriced. Turns out they were absurdly overpriced. I lost a wee bit more than 100 pounds.
- Held someone while they were having a flashback
Huh? Well, I’ve talked people down from some seriously bad trips. Does that count?
- Piloted an airplane
- Petted a stingray
- Broken someone’s heart
- Helped an animal give birth
- Won money on a T.V. game show
- Broken a bone
- Gone on an African photo safari
- Had a body part of yours below the neck pierced
Been stabbed. Does that count?
- Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
Never in anger I’m happy to say.
- Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild
- Ridden a horse
- Had major surgery
That’s the only kind of surgery I’ve ever had! Minor surgery is when it’s happening to someone else (to steal a line).
- Had a snake as a pet
Anyone with reptiles or insects for pets needs to deal with their issues in a more healthy way. And pet birds are pretty damn borderline. Though fishtanks I kind of understand on a purely aesthetic level. Sorry but there you have it. Pets are about companionship. Companionship implies empathy. Empathy with non-mammals is pretty fricking weird in my book. I’m not saying repressive legislation needs to be drafted to deal with these people or anything. Don’t get me wrong. I’m just suggesting they wear some form of identification so the rest of us can shun them.
- Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
- Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
- Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
- Visited all 7 continents
A question restricted to the handful of scientists stationed in Antarctica. Talk about exclusive!
- Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
- Eaten kangaroo meat
- Eaten sushi
Not high on my list of favourite foods I have to say.
- Had your picture in the newspaper
- Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about
- Gone back to school
- Petted a cockroach
- Eaten fried green tomatoes
- Read The Iliad and the Odyssey
- Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and read their work
Not quite sure I understand this.
- Killed and prepared an animal for eating
Indeed. Mackerel. I have caught, gutted and pan-fried them over an open fire.
- Skipped all your school reunions
- Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
- Been elected to public office
- Written your own computer language
- Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
Sadly not in a good way.
- Had to put someone you love into hospice care
- Built your own PC from parts
- Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you
- Had a booth at a street fair
- Dyed your hair
- Been a DJ
- Shaved your head
- Caused a car accident
- Saved someone’s life