It’s the old ‘first lines blog meme’ again. You know the drill by now; I set my music player on random, took only one track per artist, and obviously no track where the title is in the first line… leave your guesses in the comments (feel free to check out lyricsfreak.com if one of them is bugging you, but please don’t look one up on a search engine and then post the answer here). Instrumentals have also been cut out for obvious reasons.
- I listen for your footsteps, coming up the drive – The Beatles: Don’t Pass Me By – PMM
- Searchlights on the skyline, just looking for a friend
- Well, I’ll just skip the boring parts… chapters one, two and three
- Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools – The Smiths: The Headmaster Ritual – Phil
- One summer evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless – The Pogues: A Pair of Brown Eyes – Phil
- Well since she put me down I’ve been out doin’ in my head – The Beach Boys: Help Me Rhonda – Chris Brooke
- Revolution never comes with a warning – Spearhead: Yell Fire! – Merrick
- All the towers of ivory are crumbling – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Straight To You – Gyrus
- Since I met you, this small town hasn’t got room for my big feelings – BjÃ¶rk: Violently Happy – Rachel
- The myriad choices of his fate set themselves out upon a plate
- This is nothing like it was in my room, in my best clothes – The National: Mr. November – Zoe
- Amplifiers and old guitars, country music sung in bars
- I’ve been watching you for ages, you’re like a boat without a mast – The The: Gravitate To Me – RA / PMM
- Alcoholic kind of mood, lose my clothes, lose my lube – Placebo: Nancy Boy – RA
- I heard a girl one day, she had these long tight legs
- Take me to the station and put me on a train – Rolling Stones: No Expectations – Merrick
- Well come along and walk with me, and learn the songs that lovers sing…
- Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Oh you are the groove, you’re like the planets when you move
- Little Johnny’s all messed up, ’cause first he jumped and then he looked – Spiritualized: Come Together – Phil
- Watch your step! They’re all out spying.
- Where’s the love song to set us free?
- These things you keep; you better throw them away
- He like to frequent this club down up on 36th.
Pimps and thangs like 2 hang outside and cuss for kicks
I’ve given you the first two lines of that last one… but it’s just such a glorious opening couplet that I couldn’t split it up (from an album I’ve threatened to rehabilitate in the past, and may yet try at some point in the future). I’ve also grabbed the seven that failed to be guessed last time I did this. It’s possible that an artist may appear in the list below who has already appeared above. Possible, but not guaranteed. Bonus points and all that.
- Y’say you’re lookin’ for a place to go where nobody knows your name – John Lennon: I Don’t Wanna Face It – Mahulahoop
- There’s comin’ a day when the world shall melt away
- We got into their little black book, so they came in a spaceship to take a look
- Don’t sleep ’til the sunrise, listen 2 the falling rain – Prince: Free – Mahulahoop
- Oh my Lord, I am so bored – Daniel Johnston: Held The Hand – Mahulahoop
- There’s space in my car… speed you to heaven
- My soul is in the mountains, and my heart is in the land
And an extra ten million bonus points for anyone who gets the reference in the post title. It’s not a first line.